Saturday, January 5, 2013

Life's little "Happys"

It's such a quiet evening here - the other half is at a hockey game, and Miss Meem is fast asleep.  I'm enjoying the quietness of the house, and just thinking about the day.  There was a point and time that we found a ball to play with, the three of us.  It was by far THEE most fun I have had in a very long time.  We tossed, kicked, fell on, rolled on, threw, crammed that ball every which way and laughed the entire time. We knocked over a lamp - who cares.  We tripped over it and fell down - no biggie.  It was sheer joy,  glorious shrieks, and hard concentration learning how to kick and throw.

In thinking about that tonight, I think about all of the people out there that just do not know how to appreciate the small things in life.  There are plenty out there - always wanting more.  Believe me, I am NO stranger to WalMart and Target.  I have my very own parking spot.  Well not yet but it's coming, I swear.  However, I am truly thankful that I DO know how to appreciate the smaller things.  Things like:

  • The ticking of a clock.
  • Books.
  • A hot cup of Earl Grey.
  • A hot cup of Earl Grey with your Mama or Grandma.
  • Counting stars.
  • Hot sun shining down on your back.
  • Steady rain on the roof.
  • A nice glass of merlot. (some of you may say that my wine glasses are not one of the smaller things in life.  You are probably right.)
  • Belly-aching laughter.  Laughter so hard that you can't stop crying. 
  • Watching a puppy run and play and then fall to the floor sound asleep.
  • Mud in between your toes.  
  • Finding out that the cloud passing by looks exactly like a giraffe.
  • Listening to a child sing.
  • Listening to a child laugh.
  • Listening to a child babble.
  • Listening to a child snore.
  • Crying.  It may not seem like anything to appreciate at the time, but it truly cleanses you.
  • The first day of your legs being shaved.  Weird, but come on - you know you love it too.
  • Weeding.
  • The smell of fresh cut grass.  
  • Dancing.
  • Singing to the top of your lungs and not caring who hears it.  
And my #1 "Happy" of all time:
  • Out of NOWHERE, having your child come up to you, give you a hug and say "I love you."  
For those of you that have yet to experience that with your own babies, or for those of you trying to have babies, trust me - when you hear this, nothing else will matter.  The house will be falling down around you, the meal will be burnt, the coffee stone cold, and it will not matter.  

So tell me - what are your "Happys?"  Add them to this list.  I would LOVE to hear them.  I leave you with this final thought - please please please take time to remember them.  Live them.  Put down the phones, the computers (I know - pot kettle black as I am typing on one), the TV remotes, the Wiis and live.    If you are one of the unfortunate ones that doesn't know how to appreciate "small," smarten up.  Get with the program and figure it out.  You'll be happy you did.

4 comments:

  1. "Love you, Mama" is my favorite. "God, Mrs. Berry, I'm so lucky to have you as my wife," yeah...that's up there too.

    Other simple things:

    - seeing your first shooting star
    - feel & smell of the air the moment before the first thunder crack
    - homemade iced tea on a hot summer afternoon
    - reading a favorite book on the shore & hearing the waves lick the shoreline
    - laying down wherever you are and watching the clouds for 5 minutes
    - licking the beaters
    - better yet, watching your child lick the beaters

    How's that for a few? Oh, and no worries...my wine glasses are no small and simple things either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes and Amen to all of the above!! Such good blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful post. My "Happys" are similar to many of yours. Mostly I think of: listening to my 2 1/2 year old sing, watching him dance, and hearing him say "mama". :) Thanks for telling me about your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the best? There is NOTHING like hearing them say that beautiful word.

      Delete

Comments are welcome! So long as they are not mean to another poster. If so, it'll be removed.